Sunday, February 24, 2008

Moving Right Along

So, for the few fans that have actually been keeping tabs on what's good, you may have noticed it's been more than two months since I've written anything substantial, or even about food, that wasn't a mere update.  My plan was to do a summary of what I had missed in 2007 so I could catch up myself.  However, 2007 is long gone at this point and a good deal has happened since the New Year, so let's catch up (quickly), move on, and keep eating.


2007 essentially meant getting back on my feet--moving back from Chile after a year and a half, moving to Miami, enrolling in culinary school, meeting Dean Max and, consequently, eating a lot.  I threw myself head first into the culinary field, buying books, doing research outside of class, eating my way into my first credit card and finally discovering a field in which I'm fully ready to immerse myself.  Michael's Genuine Food and Drink, 3030 Ocean, Gramercy Tavern and Anthony's Coal-Fired Pizza were just a few of the notable dining experiences that pushed me forward, kept me cooking and fattened me up.  And that was 2007, in short.  Learning and working for, at times, 18 hours a day, not sleeping enough, starting two different jobs, once again becoming an American.  


And now it's 2008, the winter is in full swing, and I'm back in New York city for three months, potentially longer.  Just after the new year I flew up for a stage with Michael Anthony and his staff at Gramercy Tavern, and they accepted me with open arms.  I'm one of just three in my class that either chose or were able to leave the state and go for what should be an outstanding internship.  It's a great opportunity about which I have mixed emotions, mostly because I left New York a long time ago with a bad taste in my mouth, and I wasn't really sure if I'd ever return.  Here I am, though, on the eve of my first day in a world-renowned kitchen, ready to get back to what it is I've been doing for the past year, eager to get cooking.  


The next three months will, I'm sure, prove to be demanding, fun, interesting and, most importantly, full of great food.  I already have a great deal to talk about and it's only been a few days.  So let's tie up a few loose ends in Miami, pack up and move on.  Sounds good to me.   

No comments: